This guest post is by Dorothy, the “Vicar of Vibe” who lives by the motto of “love God, love others, it’s simple…” She is creative, bubbly, and full of passion to end modern slavery. Dorothy leads the Loudoun County (VA) Human Trafficking Task Force, works for Starbucks, and thrives on a creative team, blogging about their experiments in church set design at Designing for Philistines.
Is there hope tonight?
It absolutely breaks my heart that tonight, when I go to bed, there are children the age of my grandchildren, the age of some of your children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews- living here in Northern Virginia who are NOT going to bed. Who are losing hope; who are enslaved in sexual trafficking or domestic trafficking.
If you are not sure what trafficking is, you can read this post: Human Trafficking 101.
But the truth is that there is still hope for these kids. We are empowered to do something to help them.
What can you do? Here are just a few simple steps:
A. EDUCATION & AWARENESS:
1. “Like” the Loudoun (VA) Human Trafficking Task Force Facebook page to keep up with what is going on.
2. Sign up to see the free movie Not My Life Saturday, March 31st, 2012 at 5pm or 7pm at the Ahrens Institute, 22377 Belmont Ridge Rd., Ashburn, VA.
3. Read the posts on the Facebook page. There are tons of links, leading you to reliable information beginning your education & awareness process.
1.)Meet others who are working towards being the solution for rescuing & restoring trafficking victims.
2.) Be a bridge between groups/organizations who are already equipped to help victims.
3.) Invite your friends to get involved.
1. The Loudoun HTTF is currently forming action groups. They will work together to stop the problem before it increases by continuing to creating awareness of human trafficking and making efforts to stop the demand.
2. Another way to help is to serve those in need of hope. Housing, counseling, medical care, education, spiritual nurturing, and even donating simple clothing items are ways we can fund those on the road to freedom.
In Northern Virgina it is really quite simple to start this journey of freedom now.
When you go to bed tonight, will you think of those other children? Will your heart break? Will you do something about it?
If you have questions or comments, please email email@example.com or comment on this post or on the Loudoun HTTF page.
Don’t know your role yet? Check out this related post:
Art of Advocacy: What to do with That Blasted Holy Discontent
If the idea of "purpose" always seemed a little vague to you or you don't have a lot of time to spare, this is for you!
Purpose Roadmap: Discover A Story Worth Living is a free mini-workbook with seven-destination points to help you intentionally choose what you want to let motivate you in life.