If you need ideas to help you start doing spectacularly little--and yet kind--actions that make a difference, this is for you.
Have you ever thought “I wonder if we should foster?” or on the flip-side, “I could never foster?” Karly addresses all of this in our #JusticeDaily interview to give us understanding on foster care.
One of the things I love the most about these interviews is that I get to talk to amazing women who are making such a huge difference in their homes, community and world from their everyday life! Talking with Karly was so inspiring: she has so much wisdom to offer just through her life experience as she has fostered and adopted. Karly, mama of a newborn, went out of her way to empower us changemakers on this important topic.
We covered a lot of content and I was so grateful for the time she spent with us. Please check it out!
Karly shared with us the low-down on foster care:
- What your “why” really needs to be when you go into fostering
- When you should adopt vs. foster
- Self-care for foster parents
- What to do before fostering
- Unique challenges for teens
- Resources to check out (listed below)
- The tension of being a White mother to children of color
- How fostering helps other social issues (families, trafficking, etc…)
- Ideas on how to help fostering families if we aren’t going to foster ourselves
Feel free to send us any more questions about fostering!
Also, be sure to follow and give some love to the newborn mama on IG: @KarlyPancake
Some resources mentioned in this #JusticeDaily interview were:
- Five Phases of Rising Up (free guide)
- Karly’s blog at KarlyPancake.com
- My interview How Stories Heal Us and Prevent Burnout with Wendy J. Olson
- Blog/nonprofit/podcast: Foster the Family
- Books: The Connected Child and The Connected Parent (on trauma)
- Book: Another Place at the Table
- Book: The Archibald Project
Be sure to share this interview with anyone who might care about justice or is considering fostering!
If the idea of "purpose" always seemed a little vague to you or you don't have a lot of time to spare, this is for you!
Purpose Roadmap: Discover A Story Worth Living is a free mini-workbook with seven-destination points to help you intentionally choose what you want to let motivate you in life. I'm all about empower everyday people like you to know where to start in all of life's craziness to begin discovering your best role to change the world without burning out.